Wednesday, November 28, 2012
1 mini bagette cut into 1/4 inch pieces
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for dish
2 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
Pinch of saffron, steeped in tablespoon hot water
Dash freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
2 cups grated sharp white cheddar or Cantal
1 cup Gruyere
1 cup grated pecorino Romano
1/2 pound elbow macaroni
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish; set aside. Place bread pieces in a bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Pour butter into the bowl with bread, and toss. Set the breadcrumbs aside. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
2. Slowly pour hot milk into flour-butter mixture while whisking. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
3. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, saffron liquid, black pepper, turmeric,cheddar,Gruyere and pecorino Romano, ( reserving some to sprinkle on top ) Set cheese sauce aside.
4. Fill a large saucepan with water. Bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook al dente. Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese and scatter breadcrumbs over the top. Bake until browned on top, about 45
minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes; serve.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad