Thursday, May 20, 2010

Madeleines
















"And suddenly the memory returns. The taste was that of the little crumb of madeleine which on Sunday mornings at Combray, when I went to say good day to her in her bedroom, my aunt LĂ©onie used to give me, dipping it first in her own cup of real or of lime-flower tea." 
Proust, Remembrance of Things Past: Swann's Way

I decided today to share my Madeleine recipe. My friend, Kelly will appreciate this!
I always think of Proust when I am baking these little cakes, I even have an old Madeleine pan, as decor, in my kitchen. You will love taking that first warm bite.
This recipe comes from the Alsace-Lorraine region of France, Commercy to be exact.
Madeleines
3/4 cup + 3 Tbsp flour
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp orange flower water, or grated rind of 1 orange or lemon, or rosewater
1/4 lb butter, melted
25-30 medium madeleines

Sift flour with baking powder. Whisk the sugar and the eggs in a bowl until thick and light; then beat in
the orange flower water. Fold in the flour, sifting it over the egg mixture in three batches.
Sprinkle the melted butter over it and fold together as lightly as possible.
Chill the batter for 20-30 min.
Set the oven to 450
Thoroughly butter and flour the moulds.
Using a large spoon. pour into the moulds, filling them by two-thirds.
Bake for 5 min; reduce heat to 400
and bake for a further 5-7 min or until golden brown.
Transfer to a rack to cool.

1 comment:

  1. Your friend Kelly does love this! What a pretty picture too! These cookies just take one back to France... even if you never lived there! xo

    ReplyDelete