Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Rhubarb!?


























I took back roads the other day and found an amazing family owned farm, Hills Forest Fruit Farm, off of Mt Vista Road in Kingsville, MD. I was lured by the hand made signs.
I was greeted by a welcoming gentleman, his wife busy wrapping bundles of asparagus. They reminded me of my grandparents. I asked them, "What do I do with Rhubarb?"
Yes, I know all about the traditional pies and jams, not my style, so I decided to spend my day off in the kitchen and come up with my own recipe that included Rhubarb.











Rustic Rose Wine, Strawberry & Rhubarb Croustades
Crust
2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold water
Filling/ wine reduction
2 pints fresh picked strawberries, sliced
1 bundle of Rhubarb, peeled and cut into 1" slices
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup Rose wine

1. Make the crust: In food processor , pulse the butter, flour and salt until it resembles coarse meal.
Add the water and pulse just until dough forms. Divide into 6 pieces and flatten each into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 min.
2. Make the Filling: In a pan over medium heat, reduce the wine, sugar, strawberries and rhubarb. It will look like a thin jam. Chill slightly.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each disk to a 6" round about 1/8" thick. Transfer 3 to a baking sheet. Spread the fruit reduction on the rounds and and fold 1-inch of dough over the fruit to form a rim.
4. Brush the crusts with the beaten egg and sprinkle with touch of sugar. Bake for 35-40 min at 375 or until crusts are golden, rotate pan half way through. Transfer to rack to cool.
Dust with confectioner's sugar and place a single sliced strawberry and mint leaf on top in the center.

Drink a glass of Rose while you are baking! and say" Bon Appetite! "

No comments:

Post a Comment