Saturday, June 8, 2013
Persian Stuffed Potatoes: Dolmeh-ye sibzamini
A perfect dish for a rainy night and good movie.
4 uniform size, peeled potatoes
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 pound ground meat (veal, lamb or beef)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 eggs, hard-boiled and chopped
salt and pepper
1/2 cup beef broth
1 cup stewed, chopped tomatoes with liquid
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Peel potatoes, cut off tops and set aside. Slice off bottoms so potatoes will stand up. Hollow out potatoes with melon baller or spoon. Discard pulp.
3. Brown the potatoes and tops in olive oil. Set aside.
4. Brown onion and meat in remaining oil. Stir in tomato paste, parsley, eggs, salt and pepper. Stir and continue cooking for few minutes.
5. Fill the potatoes with the stuffing, replace tops and place in ovenproof dish.
6. Mix stewed tomatoes with broth and pour over potatoes. I surrounded the potatoes with fresh green beans. Cover and bake for an hour.
7. Make sure potatoes are tender, adjust seasoning.