Sunday, April 18, 2010

I Drink Flowers













I love recipes that call for Rosewater.
Rose water has a very distinctive flavor and is used heavily in Iranian cuisine—especially in sweets. I can't wait to try this Persian recipe with Pheasant and Rose petals. I have made delicious rosewater scented rice pudding and little marzipan style treats that are in the shape of mulberries. Rosewater is popping up in cocktails, and my favorite is Faloodeh, rosewater ice, which is one of the earliest known frozen desserts, dating to ca. 400 BC in Persia.
My first stop when venturing into a Middle Eastern market, is the section that stocks the rosewater, because here you will also find Orange Blossom water and spearmint water.
Hedysarum water is a popular liquid used for medical ailments such as vitamin c deficiency, allergies and inflammation.
Chicory water is known to be an ancient German remedy for everyday ailments. The flower has oils that are used for appetite stimulants and treatment for gallstones, gastro-enteritis, sinus problems and cuts and bruises.
Pussy willow water is also historically known to have a calming effect on the stomach and people believe it has a soothing effect on those with heart problems.
Open my fridge and on the door you will find my collection of these spirit waters. Forget the expensive waters and add a teaspoon of one of these to a glass of ice water, perfect.

2 comments:

  1. how lovely! you should make us some rosewater madelines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fascinating - pussy willow water. Recently I read that plants slipped into a vase with pussy willow branches will root much faster than otherwise. I planted two bushes this spring and will have to try my hand at making an infused water. Perhaps I will call it Anais!

    ReplyDelete