Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Little Ethiopia










We recently were shmying around Little Ethiopia in Los Angeles and stumbled upon this market, Merkato. Anything Ethiopian has sparked my interest since the Lucy Exhibit in NYC.
http://lucyexhibition.hmns.org/
I immediately wanted to stay when I saw a tiny bar in the center of the market.
The sweet young waitress asked me if I have ever experienced an Ethiopian coffee ceremony.
Ethiopia's coffee ceremony is an important part of their social and cultural life. To be invited to one is considered a gesture of friendship and respect.
She brought us a rich coffee, not unlike Turkish coffee , along with a snack of barley, and sat down burning incense on charcoal.
What we left with was an authentic experience of genuine hospitality.
Make your way here when in Los Angeles!
"Buna dabo naw" Coffee is our bread

No comments:

Post a Comment